Its the time of the year when we have loads of events planned like our office party or New Years Eve and we generally out loads more over the festive season. So if you need some makeup inspiration I have pulled together some of my makeup work to give a little imspiration when it comes to deciding what look you want to do:
I have been busy this morning prepping for a beauty shoot and getting myself inspired. I love to search online for beauty references to try get a feel for what I want to do. Plus sometimes you need some beauty inpiration and just look at something beautiful especially when its grey and raining outside.
So here is some amazing beauty I came across that I just had to share because they are so beautiful so for all you makeup lovers here it is:
In the spirit of things Mac Cosmetics and especially after spending time with Senior Pro Makeup Artist Michelle-Lee talking about trends of course it was obvious I was going to buy some of the must have season products. Makeup addict I hear you say? Yes indeed and of course I need them for my pro kit!
First up they 2 key blushes that were used for backstage the beautiful pink Minearlize Blush Azalea In The Afternoon which is that perfect blush to add a pop of flush to the cheek and get that English Rose look going on. The peach blush Warm Soul is perfect for that bronzed sun kissed skin and matches perfectly when bronzer has been applied to the face and will also look amazing on the eyes.
Two trend colours the pretty pastel shade Aqua Matte is amazing to rock the SS14 pastel trend with either a wash over the lids or along the bottom lash line. As soon as Michelle-Lee showed me Plum Dressing I knew I had to have it, its a great way to rock the colour trend by creating a smokey eye on the outer corners, apply just over the lids or as a liner along the top lash line.
Linger Softly is a beautiful grey shade that can be blended out on the lids for that alternative colour to the blacks and chocolates its more of a nude smokey shade and would look amazing with a peach or coral lip.
Michelle was sporting the Blackline Pearl Glide Intense Eyeliner, when applied its a green shade with a subtle gold that looks amazing on the top and bottom lash line and then blended out onto the lids to create the smokey effect, make sure you blend quick as this liner sets fast and doesn’t budge. I can’t wait to wear this shade out at night. The Designer Puple shade was a love at first sight kind of thing and the amazing thing about this liner is that it doubles up as a lip colour. Michelle-Lee said all you need is the Lip Conditioner and then apply over the lips and for the added wow apply gloss over and it won’t bleed as the liner sets so this bad boy will be used for a beauty shoot for sure or I may be daring and go for a purple lip myself!
Let me know what your favourite Mac products are and why? But for now I hope you love Mac products as much as I do.
Its been a crazy week and rather than not post I thought why not share what I am currently dying to get my hands on. I am off to London next week and yes people part of my trip will include some beauty shopping. There are some amazing new products that I just have to have. Sadly most of these won’t be available in the SA but if you know someone in London call them now.
So here is my beauty wish list:
Bumble and Bumble Dry Spun Finish: I love all things Bumble and Bumble, the products are a key staple in my pro kit. This latest addition has been on my wish list for some time since I have seen it featured on some UK Blogs. Its a dry spray that creates instant fullness and give that airy texture. Need this in my life.
Kiehl’s Microblur Skin Perfector: Whenever I see blur or skinperfector on a product I just have to have it, because we are all looking for the perfect skin right? This product is all about refining the appearance of skin texture and minimises the appearance of pores. I have read some reviews and they are good so I will definitely be buying this one.
Garnier Miracle Skin Cream: I have seen this product advertised everywhere and reviews on UK beauty blogs and I have only heard great things. It will most likely come to SA but personally I just can’t wait. Its an anti-ageing skin transforming cream that corrects the appearance and signs of ageing on first contact with the skin. Its all about flawless, smoother and fully rested looking skin. I need 2 of these please.
Studio 10 Visible Lift I-Definer: I love the neutral palette and I find myself purchasing different variations of the neutral shades. This palette comes with a primer and 4 shades to brighten and widen the eyes. Its a pretty looking palette.
Mac 3D Glitter: Totally obsessed with these new glitters and they will hit SA for sure, I have ordered 2 colours but the majority are sold out and I need them all. So I am adding these to my wish list in the hope that I can get more colours. These glitters are on a whole new level and can be used for eyes, lips and the face. Just love them
Benefit Push Up Liner: Everywhere I look bloggers are posting about this amazing new eyeliner. Sadly Benefit left SA why I have no idea but I am going to be buying me one when it launches in London on 28th June. Its claimed to be the best liner out there making it so easy to apply.
Will be sharing on my UK hauling at the end of July.
Dewy Skin, Hot Pink Lips, Glossy Eyes and The Blue Liner
Being a makeup artist means I get to play with amazing products, work with some gorgeous models and work the trends. For this shoot we wanted it to be young and fun but I also wanted to bring in elements of the beauty trends that I love.
The first look was all about the hot pink lips and the glossy eye of which both are big trends. Skin of course had to be flawless for the rest of the makeup to work (remember skincare is key here). Morgan has pretty great skin but I combined Benefit Oxygen Wow Oh So Flawless Foundation with Revlon Photoready Skinlights in Barelight to get that unbelieveable skin. Contouring is also so important here as it shapes her face. Remember contour under the cheek bones, on the forehead and along the jaw line. I used the Chanel Healthy Glow Powder here for that beautiful natural look.
For the eyes I went for the gloss look but instead of using lip gloss I went for the Elizabeth Arden 8hr cream as it has ther same effect, its not as messy and is great for your skin. The lips completes the look and I absolutely love this shade its one of my all time pic favs the Mac Candy Yum Yum.
The next look I just had to incorporate the blue its a massive trend and its a massive favourite of mine. There is something so cool about blue makeup whether its a liner or a smokey eye I can’t get enough of blue.I kept the rest of the look the same and then added the Lancome Artliner 24HR in Sapphire. Love this colour its like a colbalt blue and makes the whole look come alive.Having the right brushes is essential to get the skin right here, a great foundation buffing brush and a blending brush to seamlessly blend concealer is really important. You also need as great contouring brush to apply your bronzer or contour shade and remember less is more start with less and then build up.
Each month I love to share my beauty essentials on what I have been loving. So far this year has been filled with lots of new and amazing products that I have gotten to play with on my photoshoots and on myself. This month I have done some great shoots and of course I find each month there is a new favorite or an oldie that I find myself going back to. Its been a lot about beautiful skin which as you all know is my favourite part of make up.
So here is the products that really made the beauty essentials cut this month:
1) Revlon Photoready Skinlights: Love love love this product. I have blogged about it already a couple of times so realy it had to go into my essentials list. Its a great highlighter to give that really natural glow and great to mix in with foundation for a real pick me up for the skin.
2) Chanel Les 4 Ombres in Tisse Camelia: This is one of the new les Ombres palettes of which I basically love all of them but this palette really is so beautiful and I absolutely love the shades. A great alternative to the black and brown smokey eyes and perfect for the South African winter that is soon heading our way. Great with a nude lip or a dark berry lip and so easy to blend.
3) Mac Fix+: Basically I can’t live without this spray on set anymore. I had bought it a while ago but until with my interview with Mac Pro Makeup artist for Africa Michelle-Lee I didn’t really use it. When Michelle told me that this is key in her kit for prepping skin I started to use it all the time and now its a key staple in the kit and great for prepping skin for a flawless finish.
4) YSL Vernis A Levres: Newly launched in SA I love these lip stains. They give a beautiful natural finish and the pink shade gives a barely there look so perfect with a no makeup makeup look or with a smokey eye. I love the applicator the product glides on easily.
5) Charlotte Tilbury Penelope Pink: Loving this nude shade by Charlotte Tilbury. This month has been a lot of nude lips and beautiful skin this really is an amazing shades great on so many different skin tones except dark skin. There is nothing like a beautiful nude lip, this lippie is really hydrating, glides on beautifully and love the packaging.
6) Nars Multiple in Palm Beach: I have had this bronzer for ages but this month as I have been losing my tan on my face its a goodie to creating a naturally healthy glow. Perfect straight onto the skin if you looking for a no makeup look but cheat a tan or great applied on top of foundation and blended in.
6) Essie Polish in Mink Muffs: Nude nails seem to be a big trend right now, this polish is definitely a darker nude but I love it for medium to dark skin tones and looks so cool with a denim look.
Hope you had a great month and hope you got some new beauty insights from my beauty essentials picks.
So some of you may know I went overseas for a month and as I am totally beauty obsessed and addicted , so of course I was going to make some purchases. Did I need all of them probably not but I just couldn’t help myself. Here are my latest purchases:
Nars Sheer Glow Foundation: I have been wanting to try this out for ages and add more foundations to my kit. Its light weight and feels amazing on the skin leaving a beautiful glow and silky smooth, and you can build up covearge from sheer to medium. Its not cheap but definitely worth it for me.
Urban Decay Naked Palette: I have been wanting to buy this palette for ages but for some reason I kept deciding against it. However, I thought on this trip why not and I always hear such great reviews. I love it, there are some matt colours but mostly shimmery. The palette is perfect for a natural look or creating a bronze to smokey evening look. I love the quality of the shadows and the colours and it came with a brush and an eye primer!
Revlon Matt Lipsticks – Normally I automatically go for Mac lipsticks that have a sheen. I did have matt lipsticks but not a huge amount. I really like these matt lipsticks and I love the quality as they have a creamy texture and don’t dry your lips plus they are not too pricey. I used Nude Attitude on my Women’s Health shoot this morning so a definite for my kit.
Yu-Be Moisturiser – I was watching a Pixiwoo Youtube video a few weeks ago and one of the makeup artists mentioned Yu-Be sold at Boots and how amazing this Japenese product was and that it was only 19.99 pounds. Of course I had to try it especially as the Japenese are amazing when it comes to skincare. Its best applied at night after removing your makeup. It is really thick so you don’t have to apply too much and it smells like Tee Tree Oil. All I can say is I love it because when I wake up in the morning my skin looks amazing and is really smooth and I was aksed the other day had I had a skin peel. So there you go a definite winner. Its available at Boots so if you not in the UK find someone who can get it for you!
Hope you enjoyed my post. x
Get the Look : Kirsten Stewart
I recently came across this look Kirsten Stewart was rocking at the Met Ball. Its a beautiful deep red copper smokey eye, much edgier than the usual celebrity smokey eye red carpet look. The colour really makes her green eyes pop and I love that her make up matches her outfit. Her skin is absolutely flawless and really fresh making her eyes the focus and her foundation is quite matt which looks amazing. Here is how you can achieve the look. Remember these colours may not suit all skin tones so when going for a red then you need to test first.
- Moisturise and apply an oil free primer all over the face to ensure your foundation lasts for hours.
- Start with the eyes first to avoid any eyeshadow spill.
- Apply a cream eyeshadow first with a flat brush try Stiletto by Benefit, Maybelline Colour Tattoo Pomegranate Punk or Chanel Illusion D’Ombre in Ebloui.
- Take a deep red copper eyeshadow like Mac eyeshadow in Pomegranate and blend with a blending brush into the crease and wing outwards.
- Apply a black Kohl eyeliner try Mac pencil Smoulder or Gosh velvet touch eyeliner (available at Edgar’s if you are based in SA) in the waterline and along the lash line.
- Curl lashes and apply mascara to the top and bottom lashes try Inglot False Lash Effect Mascara, Benefit They’re Real or Diorshow.
- Brush your brows upwards and use a brow pencil to fill in but don’t go dark the brows look really natural in this picture so lightly fill where needed or if you already have a full brow just brush and set with a brow clear gel.
- Conceal under the eyes this will help illiminate any mess and allow you to achieve the shape of the smokey eye.
- Apply a liquid foundation that is not too dewy and has a sheer to medium coverage. Try Makeup Forever HD foundation, Chanel Pro Lumiere or for a drugstore option Revlon Photoready Foundation or Bourjois Healthy Mix.
- Contour the cheek bones using a matt texture like Smashbox Contour Kit as Kristen’s face really is so clean and looks like she is wearing hardly any makeup. (For dark skin models try Mac Mineralise Skinfinish Natural in one of the darker shades).
- Lightly dust a blush on the apple of the cheeks in a peach tone.
- Apply a nude lipliner and then a nude lipstick. Remember to try on the nude lipstick if you don’t have one as everyone has a different undertone.
- Finish off the look by applying a matt finishing powder such as the Chanel Les Beiges Healthy Glow or Revlon Photoready Powder.
I hope you enjoyed the post.
Whether it’s summer or winter we can still look tired or skin can appear dull. I suffer from dry skin when I am tired (being a mum of 2) and am always trying to make my skin and make up appear brighter. There are lots of little tricks, but you must have some kind of beauty routine. Always drink lots of water and make sure you wash your face day and night. But here are some steps to help you look really fresh.
1) Exfoliation is key and I have mentioned it in previous posts if you want flawless looking skin this step can’t be missed.
2) Moisturise day and night and find one that is right for you skin type.
3) Add a little shimmer into your foundation so a little Mac Strobe Cream or a brightening cream before you apply your foundation like Clarins Beauty Flash Balm which adds a little radiance to your skin.
4) Opt for a light weight foundation, tinted moisturiser or BB cream. However if you suffer from pigmentation or spots then go for a foundation and add concealer where needed.
5) Add a little shimmer into the inner corner of your eyes whether it be an eyeshadow, pigment or shimmery eye pencil and finish the eye of with mascara.
6) Add a cream eyeliner into your waterline it will make your eyes appear more awake.
7) Highlight above your cheekbone and your cupids bow.
8) If you really want to go for a bright lip and be really on trend and make your teeth appear whiter.
Hope you enjoyed my post.
Most people I know use their fingers to apply their foundation and there is always the question should I use a foundation brush? And if I use a brush which one? Admitedly when I am in a hurry I use my fingers but I find that the product doesn’t last as long than when I use a brush. There are times when I am on a shoot and I mix fingers and brush depending on the foundation I am using.
So which brush? It all depends on the coverage you want. Stippling brushes and buffing brushes are great when you want a lighter coverage and still want your skin to look flawless. Also make sure you choose a synthetic brush so that the foundation isn’t soaked into the brush and it also means you are not wasting your product.
My favourite buffing/stiffling brushes are the Real technique brushes sadly you can’t buy them in South Africa. Mac and Inglot also have great buffing brushes. The great thing about the stippling brushes is you can build your coverage or you can also use them for cream blushes and gently push the product into the skin.
For a fuller coverage use a traditional foundation brush I use these on darker skin girls, for pigmentation and bad skin, or when I want to ensure a really flawless finish as the brushes allow for a better coverage. Mac foundation brushes and Inglot brushes are great for these as well as the Real Technique foundation brush. Most brands have brushes depending on your budget if you really want to splash out then the high end brands such as Chanel have great brushes too. The one brush I am really excited to try out is the Rae Morris Radiance Brush that I have finally been able to order. Its an amazing foundation brush making application quick and easy.
Hope you enjoyed my post.