So a few weeks ago I spotted the floating manicure video on vogue.co.uk, its a super cool super easy nail trend to do. My shoot brief was a similar nail and I remembered I had seen the video and that of course I could do it too.
So today I thought I would test out the stripe nail art trend I spotted on the catwalk last year. Its pretty easy to copy at home all you need is a white nail polish and a black acrylic striper to create the fun bit of nail art.
Of course practice makes perfect so you may have to try a few times if your hands aren’t too steady.
So all you need to do is paint 2 coats of polish and wait to dry and then take the striper and create your stripes and voila you have your stripe nail art.
I love discovering new products and new brands. I got my hands on a few polishes from Toy Nail Polish a brand new nail polish brand to hit SA last month and I am loving the colours. The Colombian brand Toy which means Two of You started when a lady called Carolina Palapez decided to launch her own business and took the social media world by storm promoting thie brand and sharing tips, news and trends with her followers. The products are not tested on animals, free from commonly used toxic ingredients including formaldehyde, toluene, camphor and acetone. The bottles are made from recycled glass and the packaging is from bleach free craft paper.
Toy Nail Polish dries really quickly with the first coat in about 50 seconds and second coat in a minute and a half and then a top coat so Toy promise that your nail will be dry in about 7 minutes.
I tested out the Toy Maaji nail polish in Blueberry Moon seen below is a beautiful bright matt blue shade. The brush applies easily without any streaking and 2 coats is more than enough. I also love the idea that its economically friendly.
There are 29 colours available in SA retailing at R99 from nudes, pastels, brights and shimmer polishes as well as the Diamond Cocktail top coat. Toy Nail Polish will be releasing new polishes every 2 months to ensure that they match global trends and this month there will be the arrival of some new additions.
There are some stockists in Cape Town and Joburg already but if you want to be part of the Toy team their philosophy is you can buy stock and then sell to friends and make a little business for yourself which is a great little side business if you love all things beauty.
Here are the stockists of Toy Nail Polish:
- Coco Li in Cape Quarter and Paddocks Centre, Cape Town
- Madison Boutique in Constantia, Cape Town
- May Boutique in Stellenbosh, Cape Town
- Sherbert Angel in Parkhurst, Joburg
- Simply French in Nicoleway Centre, Joburg
- Palme in BluBird Shopping Centre, Joburg
- Egality in Parkhurst, Joburg
Hope you enjoyed the post. x
So London Fashion Week has come and gone and its onto Milan Fashion Week. Here are the make up and hair trends from the London Shows:
Make Up Trends:
- Red Lip – This trend is here to stay as you can never go wrong with a beautiful red lip and I love the red lip and red nails its a very elegant look. Keep the face fresh and with a strong brow looks totally amazing.
- Smokey Eye – Each season we see a different variation of a smokey eye which I love. Here we see a softer smokey its really beautiful and more modern.
- Strong Brows – It looks like the strong brow trend is continuing. With models like Cara Delevigne causing a storm the groomed full brow is not going any where in a hurry.
- Graphic Eye – Yet another trend that we are seeing a lot of some are more subtle like we see with a flick of blue liner on the edges of the eye which is a more wearable trend to the full on graphic eye.
- Pops of colour – For spring/summer we are always going to see pops of colour I love the bright pink matt lip with the blue undertone and then we see purple on the eyes through the crease.
- Flawless Contoured Skin is a massive trend and for me if you have the skin right everything else looks amazing.
- Shimmery Eyes – Such a beautiful look paired with clean skin and a nude lip
- Hair trends:
- Undone textured hair is another trend that we keep seeing again and again that looks so beautiful with either a clean face or a bit of a smokey.
- 70’s hair was seen in the Holly Futon show where the hair was pulled to the one side and the other side is big curls.
- Sleek hair – I love the sleek ponytails with the detail at the back and almost 3 dimensional and where the ponytail has been looped and pinned under.
- Big hair wavy trend that we spot at fashion week each seaon and I love how it has been paired with graphic eye and nude lip.
- Natural Hair – so no styling at all and the models hair was washed and then left and make up super clean and dewy.
- Beautiful classic updos where hair has been pinned up and beautiful textured updos with flowers in the hair which is so beautiful.
Hope you enjoyed my post. x
In my recent Elle main fashion editorial I created this look. The brief was fresh dewy skin with a pop of colour on the lip. Here is how I created the look:
Face: Moisturised the skin with Dr Haushka Rose Cream and then I buffed Benefit Oxygen Wow Flawless Foundation with my Real Techniques buffing brush. I concealed under the eyes using Clinique Airbrush Concealer.
Eyes: Applied Mac Paint Pot in Bare Study on the lid up to the crease, contoured the crease using Bobbi Brown eyeshadow in Sable, then I went back over the paint pot with Inglot pigment in no 14 ,I filled in the brows using Mac eye pencils in Fling and Lingering and then applied Maybelline The One by One Volum’ Express in Black.
Contour and Highlight: I contoured under the cheek bone and jaw bone using the Smashbox Contour kit and highlighted above the cheek bone and into the temple with Mac Magically Cool Liquid Powder.
Cheeks: I applied Mac blush in Peaches.
Lips: I applied a Mac lipstick in Fusion Pink and then to create a matt effect I dabbed Mac pigment in Magneta Madness (neon pink) to the centre of the lips
Finish: By lightly duting Mac Prep & Prime translucent finishing powder on the forehead, nose and under the eyes.
Nails: Used Ciate nail polish in 3am Girl and then sprinkled multicoloured micropearls onto the wet nail and applied a top coat.
Hope you enjoyed the post.
The nail trend grows stronger and I am loving the nails in the shows so far. We are seeing all sorts of trends from nude’s, white, neon’s, red’s and all kinds of nail art from glitter ,lace to jewels.
Nude nails are back in a big way.
2) The glitter effect is easy to do at home apply a clear coat and sprinkle gliiter on the tips. Or alternatively paint the nails a colour and then apply glitter to the whole nail.
3) Adding jewels/stones is a great way to bling up your look. Apply the stones to the nail polish when wet and then add a top coat.
3) Two tone nails. Paint the lighter colour on the nail. Wait till the polish is completely dry then with a make sponge apply a tiny amount of the darker colour and lightly sponge on the tip to the middle. Wait to dry and then apply a top coat.
4) The latest trend in nails is the lace effect stick on nails. lace has been cut to shape and then applied to the wet nail polish.
5) Created at fashion week using 5 different essie colours mixed together.
6) Nail art where one nail is different to the rest. (Seen in London Fashion Week) Paint the nails and then for the finger you choose to do the nail art wait until completely dry. either use an acrylic striper or a nail art pen to create your design.
7) Again another look from fashion week where a maix of colours have been used with stripers and dotted colours all over the nails.
8) Neon and bright colour nail polish are going to be big over the next few months. Try the alternative french mani using bright colours. Paint the nail in one coour and then when completely dry either with a free hand or using french tip stickers to create the tip.
9) Half moon is still a very big trend as well as red polish so incorporate the two as seen below again from Fashion Week.
Hope you enjoy the post.
So fashion week is happening in New York and we are still seeing that nails are a massive trend and the trens is here to stay. Nails now play a key part in the finished look and allows for more creativity. Still very much in fashion is nail art, half moons, embellishments and cool nail stickers.